Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets

Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets





How can i start writing a review for a book that marked my pre-teen years so deeply and shaped the way i measure books even now, 15 years later? I'm not trying to exaggerate, not at all, but it's true. A high percentage of my generation will always be enthralled by the tales, of the young wizard with the oddly shaped mark on his forehead, no matter how many years will pass. Harry Potter is and always will be a cultural figure, a phenomenon, and for many the reason they start reading books.

It's not often that i re read books but the harry potter series is an exception and since  i hadn't read them in years i decided to revisit them.  I'm not entirely sure where my childhood copies went ,the only ones that survive are Azkaban,Phoenix and Goblet Of Fire (those three are really starting to feel their age)
it always surprises me how much i enjoy these books when i read them , they really are timeless .

I won't go over the plot here because you will already know it from the film or from the book so here are some  Quick thoughts on the things that stood out to me: 
The Dursleys were even more loathsome in this book than the first. 
I love the Weasleys even more than I already did.
I am so glad my mother never sent me a Howler.
I thought Dobby was annoying in the movie   but I thought he was awesome in the book.  
Gilderoy Lockhart is a top level Douche bag (even more so than in the film)
Tom Riddle's diary was really, really awesome. The entire idea and execution were fantastic.
This is one of those books where if you're not careful you'll end up staying up half the night to read it. I actually made myself read it more slowly so i could spend more time enjoying it.

I haven't actually planned a conclusion to this review so i'll leave you with this quote from Alan Rickman  it pretty much sums up my feelings about these books .

“When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter. And my family will say to me, 'After all this time?' And I will say, 'Always.”

Comments

Popular Posts